12.05.2009

Reaching the End...

I, personally, have learned a lot this semester. Not only can I apply what I have learned to my writing, but it is applicable in other aspects of my college career and even life. The most important information came by way of Joseph Harris, author of our class text book, Rewriting: How to Do Things with Texts. Although the wordiness of the book made it difficult to read at times, the information portrayed became useful. I would pinpoint an exact chapter I felt was most influential in my writing, but without the remaining chapters the book and lesson would be incomplete. Not only did Harris outline techniques of his writing style, but gave us an example of these methods by writing his book. Applying the techniques of Harris to blog posts and essay responses truly helped me grow as a writer. (No, Eric, I'm not just telling you this because it is the kind of thing teachers like to hear). My writing style was much improved by the lessons learned at that bright and early 8am class three days a week. I can apply everything from this course to my remaining educational career. Not only has my writing style changed since the beginning of this course, but the way I read and interpret information has changed as well. I tend to take more notes, either mentally or physically, instead of just skimming an article or book passage. The news seems to interest me more than it had in the past, I will actually watch the news on a more regular basis and follow up on the news stories I find most interesting. I would provide one solid example as to how this course has impacted my reading and writing habits but there are almost 30 preceding blogs that contain all the evidence you should ever need. I find an obvious difference in my writing from when I wrote that first blog up until this final post and my extended essay.

1 comment:

  1. These are the kind of things that teachers like to hear, so you sure know your audience. (We especially like it when students say they are sincere.)

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete